rameau

rameau's ramblings

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (The Heirloom Collection)
Bill & Martin Greenberg (eds.), Ian Fleming, Leslie Charteris, John D. MacDonald, W. Somerset Maugham, Peter O'Donnell, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Erle Stanley Gardner, John Jakes, Edward D. Hoch, Cornell Woolrich, William E. Barrett, Bruce Cassiday, Mic
Progress: 13 %
Koraani
Jaakko Hämeen-Anttila
Forbidden by Fate (Isle of Feralon, #2) - Kristin Miller This review can also be found on Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell-blog.When I saw the words dragon shifter on the blurb, I knew I had to read this. Dragons, well, there's a soft spot. This is an explicit romance between a werewolf princess (sort of) and a dragon shifter. Sasha and Damon are of two different, hostile races, but they manage to find love in the neutral territory on the island of Feralon. When Sasha becomes of age and a full pack member, her father the Alpha forbids her from seeing Damon ever again. Years later when that neutral territory might cease to be neutral, they meet again and reconnect. What has Damon been doing all these years, and how has Sasha fared with the potential mates thrust upon her? This time I was expecting it, I swear I was. So, when the story starts with a steamy sex scene, I'm thinking yes, oh yes but-but-but--it's a dream. Phew! Anonymous trysts aren't for me, I truly need to know more about the characters to enjoy it. And that's my main problem with this novella. Most of the sex is at the beginning or at least in the first half of the book. The plot and characterisations aren't addressed until later in the text at which point I'm finally diving into the world. I like that Damon shifts into a real dragon instead of some pathetic dragon human hybrid (I've read one of those), and I like the fact that Sasha is expected to take over as Alpha after her father. This of course doesn't stop the men of the pack from dreaming of a coup through mating with her, but these aspects are only hinted at. I'm not so sure about one of the other pack aspects, according to which an Alpha can only force a pack member to obey his orders after they've turned eighteen. We don't get to see nearly enough of the dragon side of the island for my liking, and the third race, Merfolk, are only mentioned in passing. The world building was disappointing in a sense that I wanted to know more. There simply wasn't room for it, but I wanted it explored further.What there was room for, was roughly divided into three parts: sex, reclaiming their relationship, and the hostilities between the two races. In that order. I thought Miller struck the balance between the three quite well, but I still think the sex should have come after.I received a copy of this book in exchange for this review through LitConnect.