rameau

rameau's ramblings

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (The Heirloom Collection)
Arthur Conan Doyle, Simon Vance
Progress: 13 %
Koraani
Jaakko Hämeen-Anttila

[reblog] Belated learning...

A Rose in Winter - Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

Three Rs:

You can learn the most interesting things from historical romances.

I'm writing a blog post, and something I said there reminded me of a quote from Woodiwiss' A Rose in Winter:

"He has what I want, and silence on that

vetch will not make it any sweeter."

I don't know why, but that line has stuck with me for decades.  Strangely, though, I've never looked up what a "vetch" was. I always just assumed it was a period-appropriate expression, much like "bitter pill".

Today I found out that a vetch is a bean.  Which... made less sense than I'd hoped. Further digging, however, turned up the fact that "bitter vetch" was one of the first cultivated crops.  It apparently looks like red lentils, but the taste is so bitter that you'd never mistake one for the other.

So it was indeed a period-appropriate expression, much like "bitter pill".  Even more so than I'd originally thought, even.  I could have learned that years ago, if I'd only bothered to look.  Sure, it's somewhat useless information... but collecting weird little tidbits like this is how I know when an SPA didn't do the research.

Besides:  knowledge is cool, in and of itself.

Source: http://threears.booklikes.com/post/471002/belated-learning-