rameau

rameau's ramblings

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (The Heirloom Collection)
Bill & Martin Greenberg (eds.), Ian Fleming, Leslie Charteris, John D. MacDonald, W. Somerset Maugham, Peter O'Donnell, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Erle Stanley Gardner, John Jakes, Edward D. Hoch, Cornell Woolrich, William E. Barrett, Bruce Cassiday, Mic
Progress: 13 %
Koraani
Jaakko Hämeen-Anttila

The Storyteller

The Storyteller - Jenni Michaels Gareth lives alone in a small village in a small valley and he’s alone in the woods when a battered stranger faints at his feet. Softhearted healer that he is, Gareth risks breaking his back bringing the stranger to his cabin and tending to the strangers wounds. It’s not quite love at first sight but it is love after a fashion, so when stranger leaves, Gareth follows. The title could refer to either of the main characters or a couple of the secondary characters introduced later when the past casts its shadow to the present. This is a case of I wanted to like it more than I did. I liked Kit and I liked Gareth, because they reminded me of other characters I’ve given my heart to. That is also the reason why I couldn’t round up the rating in the end. I couldn’t be quite sure if the story would stand on it’s own without the connections drawn to Merlin (BBC 2008) in my mind. There’s a knight, and there’s a physicians apprentice. There’s the tiny foster sister, there’s magic, there are four kingdoms instead of five… and there is my active imagination finding all these little “clues.”The writing was well enough, maybe slightly too inexact for my tired mind. It’s either that or the editors were sleeping on the job. The disagreement at the end—and the characterisation that lead to it—felt somewhat manufactured and the resolution that followed was too quick. Still nice—nice is definitely a good word here—enough tale, at least for Merlin fans. Then again, why pay for a book when you can read stellar Merlin fanfic online for free.