rameau

rameau's ramblings

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (The Heirloom Collection)
Arthur Conan Doyle, Simon Vance
Progress: 13 %
Koraani
Jaakko Hämeen-Anttila

Nekropolis

Nekropolis - Maureen F. McHugh I never do this, but lists. You’re getting lists this time:What I liked: • The subtlety. I’m not a jaded scifi reader, so all the scifi elements introduced were suitably familiar, but not too incomprehensible to me. • Prejudices. • The exploration of inequality in a relationship. Whether the inequality is constructed by rules parents teach their children or science that removes choice, it is real and there aren’t any easy answers. • The writing. • Akhmim. • The ending.What I didn’t like: • Multiple first person voice point of views. Four to be exact. Hariba, Akhmim, Hariba’s mother, and her best friend. Their voices were too similar and I think it only really worked for Akhmim. For a comprehensive introspection of the society I would have preferred to read this story in third limited. • The helpless, clingy Hariba. • Hariba.