rameau

rameau's ramblings

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (The Heirloom Collection)
Arthur Conan Doyle, Simon Vance
Progress: 13 %
Koraani
Jaakko Hämeen-Anttila

Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1)

Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) - Madeleine Urban,  Abigail Roux While reading this book I had quite a few thoughts circling in my mind, but of those the most prominent three were:1. Gods, save me from the adverbs. 2. Gods, save me from the repetition. I’ll forget the adverbs as long as the repetition ends NOW.3. This isn’t a character driven story, because the characters are the story. Now, there’s nothing wrong with a character centric book, but. There’s hardly any plot. Scratch that. There’s no plot. There’s barely a framework for a murder mystery and an awkward excuse to bring two men together and have them fall in love against all odds and their life experience up until that point. Ty G. and Zane G. (Grady and Garrett respectively) fall into each others arms repeatedly in scenes that can only be described as fantasy fulfilment. They take turns disrobing in front of each other and getting conveniently hurt to allow the other to touch them in a caring manner. And of course this leads to unresolved sexual tension which quickly becomes resolved. Too quickly. Their relationship progresses too fast, which is a considerable achievement considering the over all length of the book. My NetGalley copy showed closer to 400 hundred Kindle pages than 300 and half of those could have easily been left on the cutting room floor without any significant loss to the plot. Er. My mistake: -without any significant loss to the character and relationship arcs. One of my Kindle notes says: ”They’re od’ing on deux ex machina plot point encounters.”The success of this book hinges on the readers connection to the characters. As a long time soap opera viewer I’m a sucker prone to suffering through horrible plot lines just to see my favourite characters stumble from one ill-advised adventure to another.But I’m also a mystery and crime novel fan and whodunnits have made my heart skip ever since I picked up my first Agatha Christie Novel. And in this, too, the novel fails.Almost all plot advancement mystery partition of the story is done in short paragraphs telling what had happened with the case and the world around them. The foreshadowing is done with a heavy hand and the culprit is clear pretty much from the beginning. At the time it felt like some relevant information like Zane’s wedding ring is withheld until the last minute.I also have other small complaints like the fact that I’m not sure how accurate the hospital scenes are or like someone on Twitter said: New York is a city that should be a character. It’s not in Cut & Run and that shows the lack of actual research on the authors’ part. There’s a lot criticism in this review, so why is the rating two stars instead of one? That’s easy. I’m picturing Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki as Ty and Zane. Wonder why exactly that is. I received a copy of this book from the publisher.