rameau

rameau's ramblings

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (The Heirloom Collection)
Bill & Martin Greenberg (eds.), Ian Fleming, Leslie Charteris, John D. MacDonald, W. Somerset Maugham, Peter O'Donnell, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Erle Stanley Gardner, John Jakes, Edward D. Hoch, Cornell Woolrich, William E. Barrett, Bruce Cassiday, Mic
Progress: 13 %
Koraani
Jaakko Hämeen-Anttila

Keeper of the Night (Harlequin Nocturne Series #151)

Keeper of the Night - Heather Graham This review can also be found on Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell-blog.Blame it on bouncing back from a five star book or blame it on taste differences in writing styles, but this book simply wasn’t for me. I haven’t read the other The Keepers-series Graham co-authored with Alexandra Sokoloff and Deborah Leblanc, but I did like the paranormal world presented here. The set up was unfortunately—or fortunately depending on your point of view—delivered in an infodump prologue and it actually made me curious about the Others blending in the masses of non-believing humans. More importantly, it made me want to read about an elven character. However, I was quickly disappointed. The world building I liked—the idea of keepers ensuring the peace among other races of paranormal creatures—but I couldn’t connect with the characters. Graham filled the beginning with repetitious lines and descriptions that quickly eroded my interest. As I read further, the less I cared about Rhiannon and Brodie, their budding relationship, and the mystery they were trying to untangle. I couldn’t even be bothered to look for the clues for the killer as I speedread through the rest of the book. On the positive side, my disinterest prevented me from absolutely hating the book. I’m guessing that if you’re familiar with Graham’s previous work and like it, you’ll enjoy this novel too. I received an Advanced Readers Copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.