rameau

rameau's ramblings

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (The Heirloom Collection)
Bill & Martin Greenberg (eds.), Ian Fleming, Leslie Charteris, John D. MacDonald, W. Somerset Maugham, Peter O'Donnell, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Erle Stanley Gardner, John Jakes, Edward D. Hoch, Cornell Woolrich, William E. Barrett, Bruce Cassiday, Mic
Progress: 13 %
Koraani
Jaakko Hämeen-Anttila

Unconventional Romance by Cait Miller

Unconventional Romance - Cait Miller

For once I’m not going to complain about the sex in an erotica. Sort of.

I liked the set up. A weekend at a romance novel writer’s convention and couple with history trying to reconnect. It’s pretty much the perfect way to bring two people together for quick sex scenes and somewhat believable promise of something more. I even liked the characters as they were initially introduced and Gray’s mother too.

The problem, however, was the inconsistency of those characterisations. Unconventional Romance is written in third person omniscient, but unfortunately it isn’t well done. Between the point of view changes the narrator’s personality seemed to change, so that whichever character was talking was the passive submissive and the other the dominant instigator. In Gray’s chapters Mark took the initiative and in Mark’s scenes Gray was the one taking control of their situation. This is why I kept forgetting who as supposed to be who. I saw the labels but I couldn’t remember which name came with the paramedic experience and long hair and which with the English accent.

And there was another thing. Whenever I had a problem with a scene, whenever I thought a character had behaved badly, I was promptly offered a convenient explanation. It was little like reading a manuscript where the writer instead of going back and fixing the scene had pasted a one line excuse-explanation for the character’s actions. Some of those justifications came too late to make a difference.

Despite all this, I didn’t hate it. As a quick read erotica it works.