rameau

rameau's ramblings

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (The Heirloom Collection)
Arthur Conan Doyle, Simon Vance
Progress: 13 %
Koraani
Jaakko Hämeen-Anttila

Not Colin Firth

A Single Man - Christopher Isherwood

I can't quite decide what to think or say about this book.

The beginning is beautiful and goes almost beat for beat with the film adaptation I watched a few years ago. Except the part where George is Colin Firth, or the other way around. Then, as the day progresses 1960s rears its head and white man-splaining kicks mud in my eyes. It's not the worst I've read, but I've become more sensitive to it as of late.

And I can't quite decide if Isherwood was just bad at writing women or writing a bad woman in this case. He doesn't give me enough reference material within this one book for me to make up my mind.

Then, at the end, everything is beautiful again and I get to imagine Matthew Goode gazing at Colin Firth for no apparent reason.

I liked it, I guess. Just not as much as I thought I would when I saw the film.

P.S. Oh, almost forgot. As this is an audiobook: The narrator fit the character but his voice was distinctive enough that when he was doing voices for the other characters, I could never quite forget that it was him, Simon Prebble, telling a story.