rameau

rameau's ramblings

The Complete Sherlock Holmes (The Heirloom Collection)
Arthur Conan Doyle, Simon Vance
Progress: 13 %
Koraani
Jaakko Hämeen-Anttila

Includes rape and triviliasation of slavery

— feeling unhappy
Ship of Destiny - Robin Hobb, Anne Flosnik

Admittedly, mine cuppeth hast been overflowing on the first part from very early on this series—and trilogy—nor am I qualified to analyse all the ways Hobb fails in writing about the tattooed slaves, so this is going to be a short review. Again.

This trilogy has all the melodrama and angsty plot twists I usually love in my reading, but execution matters. Boy, does it matter.

Hobb touches on serious matters and then promptly glosses over the aftermath. Instead of confronting their issues, her characters—and the author—like to take the easy way out and act as if the briefest acknowledgement of their issues is a victory worthy of an Olympic medal, or a HEA.

The only reason I kept reading and will keep reading Hobb is Amber. She's on a ship that sails no matter what. If you know what I mean. *wink wink nudge nudge*